- Join Community
- Post to Community
- Gift Paid Account
|Name:||Silmarillion Writers' Guild|
|Website:||Silmarillion Writers' Guild|
|Community description:||Fan writing and art focused on J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarillion.|
Welcome to the Silmarillion Writers' Guild LiveJournal Community!
SWG was founded in 2005 as a group for Silmarillion researchers and authors of Silmarillion-based writing to share their work and discuss the book. SWG also hosts a homepage and a Yahoo! group for discussions. Our Dreamwidth community serves as primarily a place to share our writing and group news.
We are an easygoing community that welcomes members from all over the world and the worldwide web, with all levels of experience with Tolkien's works and writing. If you love Tolkien's early works, we welcome you to join us! If you have any questions regarding the SWG, please do not hesitate to contact our moderators at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're happy to help!
We have always prided ourselves on being a friendly community that discourages the drama that infects many other groups on the web. We ask that our members abide by basic etiquette in all of our affiliated groups. All SWG groups are closely monitored, and action will be taken against individuals who cannot show respect and courtesy to their groupmates.
Please take a moment to review our Etiquette Guide. Following are some of the points most relevant to our Dreamwidth community:
- Abusive or derogatory behavior will not be tolerated at any time or in any part of SWG. We do not welcome or allow any content in our group that is designed to be hurtful or insulting.
- If at any time, you have a problem with another member while at SWG, it is your responsibility to contact a moderator about it. As moderators, we do our best to keep on top of what goes on in the group, but we are human, and we sometimes miss things; therefore, it is your responsibility to inform us if another member is violating the etiquette outlined here.
In keeping with this, members are not to attempt to solve conflicts that occur on this site. More often than not, this only makes the problem worse. Please take your concerns to a moderator.
- This group was designed as a place where authors could get help and feedback on their writing. As such, you should expect constructive criticism on the work that you share here. If you are seeking only praise for your work, then this is probably not the best place to share it.
Along the same lines, if you choose to reply to your reviewers, please do so politely. Not everyone will like every aspect of your work. You are welcome—and encouraged—to contact your reviewers for clarification when necessary, not to strike up arguments or berate the reviewer because s/he did not like certain aspects of your work.
In the instance that you feel that a review is inappropriately harsh, please contact a moderator. There is Reviewer Etiquette here as well! Please do not reply to the review. We will gladly handle the situation for you.
- Always and include relevant warnings in the piece’s summary. SWG welcomes members of all ages and backgrounds and believes that members should be free to choose the content to which they are exposed. Failure to properly rate a story will result in the story’s removal from our site. When in doubt, please be conservative in choosing your ratings and warnings. See our Ratings Guide for more information on our rating system.
- Please take care to properly reference any sources that you use in your writing. This includes direct quotes from Tolkien’s works, direct quotes or original source material that belongs to other authors, and secondary source material, such as song lyrics or books. Failure to do so constitutes plagiarism and is considered unprofessional and unethical.
- SWG was founded as a place for authors to get feedback and help with their writing. As such, constructive criticism is welcomed here. However, diplomacy is required. Reviewers are expected to be courteous and respectful of all authors and stories that they choose to review. If you are not familiar with the concept of diplomatic reviews, then I highly recommend that you read our diplomacy guidelines before beginning to submit reviews. These are the standards to which all reviewers will be held on this site.
- Readers are responsible for what they choose to read on our site. If a work is properly rated according to our ratings guide, then readers are not complain about the content they choose to read. SWG does permit adult rated material and "slash"; readers who wish not to be exposed to this content must be careful to avoid it. In the instance that a story is not properly rated, please contact our moderators at email@example.com.
- All story content must go behind an LJ-cut with ratings and warnings outside of the cut. If you do not know how to use an LJ-cut, please consult the LiveJournal FAQs or ask a moderator for assistance.
- All material posted in the community must be on-topic and related to The Silmarillion or its related works. Most of us love all of Tolkien's works--including The Lord of the Rings--but there are myriad groups that focus on these books. This community is for Silmarillion-based material only.
Our posting format is simple. All writing shared on the Dreamwidth community must include ratings and warnings outside of any LJ-cuts, according to our Ratings Guide. All story content must go inside of an LJ-cut. The following is a suggested posting format; simply copy the code below and fill in your own information wherever you see ALL CAPS.
<b>Author:</b> <lj user="USERNAME">
<lj-cut> PASTE STORY HERE </lj-cut>
Promoting Your Group on SWG
We are generally very receptive to allowing other groups to post notices on our Dreamwidth community. However, you must have a moderator's permission before posting an announcement for another group on this community. We recommend that you read our promotions page first and then contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links of Interest
How to Post Your Writing to the LiveJournal Community. An illustrated tutorial to help new LJ users share their writing in the community.
Tips on Using the LiveJournal Community. New to LiveJournal? Tips to make your experience with the community fun and enjoyable.
The SWG Homepage. Our group headquarters, which includes a reference library and fiction archive.
Yahoo! Discussion Group. The discussion forum for SWG. Discussions of Tolkien's books and the craft of writing are always welcome. Additionally, members of this forum participate in planning group activities.
Reference Library. Always being expanded and developed, our Reference Library holds resources about Tolkien's world, writing, and online life.
SWG Newsletter. Keep up to date with the latest happenings in the SWG. Our newsletter is also tagged on LiveJournal here.
Challenge Listing. Need inspiration? SWG has dozens of writing challenges with new ones being added monthly.
Volunteer Page. Want to get involved with SWG? Check our volunteer page for the areas where we need volunteers the most or email us at email@example.com!
Material posted in this community may be objectionable to some or inappropriate for younger readers. In joining this community, you are assenting that you are a legal adult in your country or that you have the approval of a parent or guardian to read postings in and/or participate in the Silmarillion Writers' Guild. Parents: This is not an appropriate community for children under 13, and your supervision is encouraged for participation of older children. Please feel free to contact us at any time with questions or concerns.
Questions or concerns should be addressed to the moderators at firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve the right to edit or delete posts, as we deem appropriate. Given this right, it is our assurance to our members and participants that we will use our best discretion in such matters.
All works on this site belong to their original owners.
Characters and stories associated with J.R.R. Tolkien's works remain the property of his estate. Creative work using this material has been written solely for the enjoyment and enlightenment of its writer and his/her associates and copyright infringement is not intended. No profit is made on the materials shared on this site.
abbyforth, adonnen_estenniel, aelfwine, alasse_mirimiel, almarexx, anguirel, aranrhodinhimring, aria_elwen, arwen75, broadbeam, dawn_felagund, elfscribe5, elleth, ellynn_ithilwen, erulissedances, esteliel, eveiya, fanged_geranium, fardell24, fernstrike, grey_gazania, grundyscribbling, harmlesscult, heartofoshun, hhimring, hrymfaxe, idleleaves, independence1776, ithilwen, jedimasterstar, jenni_blog, keiliss, la_prime, la_samtyr, ladybrooke, lindahoyland, maglor20, makamu, midnightgds, mithrial, mouse_rat, narva, nelyo-russandol.livejournal.com, nelyo_russandol, oloriel,
one_binka, openidwouldwork, oursblanc, pandemonium_213, perfectworry, philosophercat, phyncke, quende_lasse, rhapsody, scarlet10, shirebound, silver_trails, sinneahtes, sirielle, snickersd, songfire, starspray, surgicalsteel, wise_queen, wood_elf, ysilme, zhie
abbyforth, adonnen_estenniel, aelfwine, alasse_mirimiel, almarexx, anguirel, aragorn_reader, aranrhodinhimring, aria_elwen, arwen75, baycitybomber, broadbeam, butterflybread, calandra, dawn_felagund, elfscribe5, elleth, ellynn_ithilwen, erulissedances, esteliel, eveiya, fanged_geranium, fardell24, fernstrike, finch, genarti, grey_gazania, grundyscribbling, harmlesscult, heartofoshun, hhimring, hrymfaxe, independence1776, ithilwen, jedimasterstar, jenni_blog, keiliss, la_prime, la_samtyr, ladybrooke, lanteanwraiths, linaewen, lindahoyland, luthienberen, lynndyre, makamu, midnightgds, mithrial, mouse_rat, narva, nelyo-russandol.livejournal.com, nelyo_russandol, oloriel, openidwouldwork, oursblanc, pandemonium_213, perfectworry, philosophercat, phyncke, quende_lasse, rhapsody, scarlet10, shirebound, silver_trails, sinneahtes, sirielle, snickersd, songfire, starspray, surgicalsteel, wise_queen, wood_elf, ysilme, zdenka, zhie