24 July 2018
It was bright and sunny when Topher arrived at the Black Handed Spider Monkey Exhibit. Unlike the lemurs, the Spider Monkeys were on display. “Now I'm ready,” he said. He took the camcorder out of the bag. “These are the Black Handed Spider Monkeys, from Central America. As you can see, they have prehensile tails, which can be used like an extra hand. The tip has similar dexterity to a finger.”
A movie based on real events at NASA in the early 1960, during the early stages of the Space Race. It is primarily about three female African American mathematicians (or 'computers') who had to deal with the prejudices typical of the era while also helping to come up with the mathematics required for space travel.This is a really good film. Although there are some dramaticisations, it is overall rather well presented. All three of the main actors did a very good job in portraying these real life characters.
The other characters in the film also well portrayed (including John Glenn). This is one movie I would recommend anyone to see. 9.5/10.
Characters: Elrond/Glorfindel, Erestor, Original Feline Character
Genre: Hurt/Comfort, Angst
Content: pre-slash, aftermath of war, budding romance, Imladris, injury recovery
Disclaimer: This is a work of transformative fiction based on JRR Tolkien's creation, done purely for enjoyment. No money is being made. I promise to give the characters back more or less as I found them.
Notes: Written for Neiroel for My Slashy Valentine 2017. My most heartfelt thanks to curiouswombat, keiliss and lordhellebore for idea bouncing, hand-holding and for answering my endless questions, and to curiouswombat for beta reading. This story would not have come to life without you! All remaining mistakes are my own.
Summary Glorfindel wants to fulfil his vow to protect Elrond’s line, but this is not as easy as it seems when Elrond struggles with adapting to the changes after the War of the Last Alliance.
Read it on AO3, the SWG or Faerie.
My Slashy Valentine 2017 has gone online at slashy_santa and offers once again a great collection of lovely stories!
Here is also a direct link to the collection on the AO3.
Nuinzilien wrote the loveliest gift for me: Many Paths to Tread, PG, Celeborn, Thranduil, Haldir, Rumil | Celeborn/Galadriel (implied), Celeborn/Haldir (implied), Thranduil/OMC | pre-slash, slash & gen | 4700 words.
Summary: When Galadriel sailed, she took the Golden Wood with her. Lord Celeborn and the remaining elves of Lothlorien move east into the Southern Eryn Lasgalen. But things are not quite working out as expected.
It's great fun, with a very down-to-earth Celeborn struggling with an uncooperative forest, and an awesome Thranduil having good advice as well as hot baths.
26 January 2017
The Secret Service agent again lead Trump to the subbasement room where the Temporal Vehicle was kept. It seemed that most of the meetings were still antagonistic. Even with Monroe and the younger Adams. He wasn't sure why. He was still sure that it wasn't him that was at fault.
“Good Evening, Mr. President.”
– Still off work. My return date is creeping ever-closer, though – I have less the a month to go. Two weeks until my next doctor's appointment, when we'll sign off on the papers I need to go back. I just hope my mind and body are both ready for it, because I know the consequences of starting before I can handle it. I have very few options left if I can't.
– Lir has learned to flush the toilet and keeps doing it at every opportunity. Sigh. He keeps waking me up in a panic at night because I think someone's in the house.
– Speaking of the house, I'm finally moving out of it. When my parents told me to get out so they could sell in the spring, my first reaction was panic. Work's been so on-and-off that living here rent-free (paying all the utilities and taxes, of course) has saved my butt more than once. But it's time to move on, and regardless of the resulting financial strain I think it's going to be a positive thing for me. There are so many memories, in this house, and most of them aren't good; plus, since I moved here my parents have been blaming me for all the things they neglected (and 'neglect' firmly sums up their treatment of this house even while they lived here) to fix before they moved out. Having my own place again will be a relief, if nothing else. Maybe I can find some peace, again.
– I'm wearing pajamas with a raccoon hood, complete with stick-up ears and a tail on the back. Living alone means nobody can tell me to act my age. Pfft.
– I've been angsting over writing even more than usual, lately. It seems the only way I can avoid my inner critic shaming me into not being able to get words on a page, right now, is to make myself tired enough for her to quiet down. It's a particular sort of timing – it's when I've stayed up past the time I'd usually go to bed, when I've gone through the gah-so-tired-must-sleep phase and into my second wind, and then I manage to write – slowly, but that's my usual speed – until I can't prop my eyes open any longer. Last night I didn't even start writing until 2am. Blargh. It's just absolutely ridiculous that I should have this many issues tied up in fic-writing, ffs.
“I've been expecting you, Doctor. I knew that this moment had to come,” Bracewell said,
“Moment?” the Doctor asked.
“It's time to deactivate me.”
“You have no choice, I'm Dalek technology. You can't have me pottering down here where I don't belong.”
“No, you're dead right Professor,” the Doctor said. “The way I see it, there are three options.”
“Three?” Amy asked.
“Yes, three,” the Doctor answered. He turned back to Bracewell. “Three options. Deactivation. Or you could stay here, but on no account are you to look for that girl.”
“Dorabella,” Bracewell said.
“Dorabella,” the Doctor said.
“And the third option?” Bracewell asked.
“All of time and space, aboard my TARDIS.”
Not that good a match for a SWG challenge, really, I suppose, but I've been interested in Thengel's daughters for a while and I had this one on my mind right now, because of another challenge and another ficlet.
In Between (517 words) by Himring
Fandom: The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien, TOLKIEN J. R. R. - Works & Related Fandoms
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: Major Character Death
Relationships: Faramir (Son of Denethor II) / Eowyn
Characters: Sister of Theoden, Morwen of Lossarnach, Faramir, Éowyn (Tolkien), Eorlingas | Rohirrim
Additional Tags: Cultural Differences, Culture Shock, Textual Ghosts, POV Female Character, SWG Challenge
Thengel of Rohan and Morwen of Lossarnach had two daughters that were born in Gondor, before Thengel's father died and he returned to Rohan to take up the kingship.
Such a daughter might have found it easy to adjust--or she might not.
Links above go to AO3.
16 April 1825
John Quincy Adams waited for the temporal vehicle to arrive, bringing the 45th President back to this time.He hoped that he wouldn't be like the 44th President. 'Maybe the electors will have more sense,' he thought, unknowingly echoing the thoughts of one of his predeccessors. Suddenly, there was a flicker of light, and a sound like a 'Pop!' The mechanism 'faded in' in front of him. The door opened.
A white man stepped out. “President John Quincy Adams?”